Thursday, March 4, 2010

Variance is a Biatch...

I have had a stretch of no cashes that has been going on for a few weeks that I finally broke tonight.  It was a small cash in a SNG on stars, but I don't care, my perseverance has beaten variance.
In the career of every poker player, variance will happen.  You will have pocket aces cracked by 62o and a straight busted by a one outer royal flush on the river.  These things happen, but I hope to be able to minimize your losses during these stages.  The first thing is, don't stop playing!  This is something that happens, you can't avoid it.  The more you play, the faster you will get over it, statistically speaking.  The second thing to do is to move down in limits.  Start playing at lower blinds in cash games and lower stakes MTTs and SNGs.  Finally, stay patient!  To get over my stretch of variance, I tried to just stay patient and just play ABC poker.  A good way to do this is to play only a few tables at once and watch a movie or read something at the same time.  Play simple poker and everything will fall into place.  When I was on my variance stretch I got out of it by not being tricky with my game at all and just playing, like I said, ABC poker.
Hopefully you don't ever have an experience like I did but if you do, heed my advice!
Good luck and I hope to see you at the tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment