Monday, December 6, 2010

A Response to Steven

A while back Steven asked me about position and the meaning of ABC poker.
Here is my response to his comment:

I haven't been tending the poker blog very well at all, and I just saw your comment.
As far as position goes, keep in mind that you should play a bit looser in late position than in early position.  In early position if you don't have at least QQ, fold.  In middle position, fold with anything worse than TT but in late position, you can play many more cards.  If you are in a hand with a limper or two and you are seated just before the blinds, make a small raise.  Many times you will be able to get everyone to fold and you will easily collect the blinds and the limped calls by the other players. In this position it is advantageous to play with any pocket pairs if all you have to do is call, or even with suited connectors if you feel like you have a good idea of how the table plays and aren't facing too much aggression.  As a general rule of thumb, do not do what you would do in early position when you are in late position.
ABC poker is merely doing exactly what you should do, based on the odds.  You will never bluff or make questionable calls and don't play hands unless you will probably win.  While this can be good, it is easily exploited by other players who can make big bets to move you off of your hand and with a reduced tendency to gamble, your winnings will also not be as high.
PurePlay is the freesite that I use sometimes, although I do love the freerolls on FullTilt and PokerStars.
Again, I am very sorry for being so late in contacting you!
If you need advice in the future, coaching, or anything related to poker, don't hesitate to let me know.
(This goes for anyone.  I am more than happy to share poker advice and tips with anyone who needs it.  Contact me on here or at jake.cartier3@gmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment